Creaking rides. Constant engine failures. A vehicle body that makes even the police look away. These are all signs of a vehicle that’s reaching the end of the road. No pun intended. If this sounds like your car, then read on, because whether you like it or not you may have a scrap car on your hands. Here’s everything you need to know about the car scrapping business.
The Million Dollar Question: What is a Scrap Car?
A car that is no longer usable due to an accident or has either become harmful or exceeded its age limit is a scrapping car. These vehicles are of no use to their owners and are therefore sold to a second party that will scrap them.
How is a Scrap Car Dealt With?
If a vehicle has been rendered completely immobile due to an accident or age, a tow truck will be needed to transport the vehicle to the designated junkyard or scrapping location.
Next all fluids are drained from the car because these can get in the way of the crushers used in the scrapping process.
Then any salvageable spare parts are removed. Some scrappers will recycle plastic components at this stage.
After that, the aluminium parts are salvaged and recycled. Lastly, what remains (mostly steel) is crushed and baled, kind of like how grass and cattle feed is baled, shredded, and then recycled.
How Do You Know if You Have a Scrap Car?
The obvious one is if you’ve been in a car accident so bad that you just know that your vehicle is now scrap. A few others are:
- When your engine becomes obsolete and the cost of getting it fixed is more than what the vehicle itself is worth.
- In some countries petrol vehicles older than 15 years of age are legally scrap cars and driving them is prohibited.
- Diesel cars usually have a shorter life span of 10 years.
- Classic cars are allowed longer life-spans given that they are checked regularly by authorities.
- Some countries don’t have a lifespan limit and vehicles can be driven indefinitely until they are rendered immobile.
- Vehicles that will not fetch a decent enough price if sold.
- Cars with ridiculous fuel usage rates.
- Cars that can’t find suitable spare parts.
Scrap cars are valued mostly based on the value of the salvageable parts in the vehicle. When there aren’t many good spare parts available scrapping cars aren’t worth much as they are valued as much as a hunk of steel – especially if you go to a junkyard.
Sell Your Beat Up Car to Sell Your Motors
At Sell Your Motors we view your scrap car as an actual vehicle, with different values placed on different brands – not just a hunk of metal. Scrapping a car involves a lot of paperwork and many formalities. Going through the procedure yourself might involve quite a bit of a back-and-forth. Let Sell Your Motors do all the heavy lifting for you.
We will buy your car directly from you. No negotiations, no long-winded procedures, just bring your car in for an evaluation (or call us to tow it in) and receive your cash. It’s really that simple. Sounds too good to be true? There’s only one way to find out: call us on 04 330 1030.
Need a little more information? Click on the following link to find out more about how we scrap cars in Dubai in an environmentally friendly way.