International driving licenses, also known as international driver permits, are alternative driving licenses that enable you to drive in another country. In the UAE, it is mandatory to have an international driving license while driving in another country. You cannot drive in another country without a valid UAE driver’s license and an international driving permit. Even if your home country doesn’t require an international driving permit to drive there, it might be advisable to acquire one anyway. Some countries require an international driver’s license as proof of your ability to drive before they will issue you with a local license. There are many benefits of having an International Driving Permit and Licence while traveling abroad. An IDP can help you avoid hefty fines and may even save you from being locked up in some countries. They are not just for the paranoid traveler but for everyone that loves traveling. Below we have outlined how to apply for an international driving license in the UAE and how it can help you avoid trouble when crossing borders.
What is an International Driving Permit?
An international driving permit is a document that shows a driver’s valid driver’s license, road rules and traffic signs of the issuing country. It is commonly referred to as an “IDP”. IDPs are available in paper and electronic format and are valid for one year. In some countries, you can use an IDP to exchange your driver’s license for a local license. The IDP is a translation of your driver’s license into 10 different languages. It is used as a legal document to drive a car in another country. Ideally, an international driver’s license should be in the driver’s language, the language of the country where you’re driving and the language of every country you pass through. You can also use an international driving permit to replace your original driver’s license if it is lost or stolen.
How to Apply for International Driving License in the UAE?
You can apply for an IDP at the Department of Road and Transport, within the Ministry of Infrastructure. The application process is straightforward and simple. All you need to do is provide an original and signed copy of your UAE driving license and pay the applicable fee. If you are not the owner of the car you will be driving, you will also have to provide an original letter written by the car owner. Department of Road and Transport, Ministry of Infrastructure, Abu Dhabi.
How to Apply for International Driving License in the UAE: Advantages and Disadvantages
Advantages of having an International Driving Permit
- It eliminates confusion with foreign law enforcement officers who might mistake your driver’s license for a local license. – It shows local law enforcement officers that you are familiar with the traffic laws of your home country.
- It is valid to drive in all GCC countries, as well as many Balkan countries, Belarus, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Myanmar, Nepal, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey and Ukrain.
- It can help you avoid fines by proving that you are competent behind the wheel.
Disadvantages of having an International Driving Permit
– You cannot use your international driving permit to exchange your driver’s license for a local license.
– You must have your original driver’s license with you at all times. If you are pulled over by the police or get into an accident and you don’t have it, you will be in big trouble.
– If you want to drive a truck, you will have to get an international commercial driver’s license.
Pros and cons of hiring a guide or driver for border crossings
Border crossings are often chaotic and disorderly, especially on weekends and holidays. Driving through a border crossing can be frustrating and time-consuming, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the process. Hiring a professional guide or driver can alleviate a lot of the stress associated with crossing borders. Some of the advantages of hiring a guide or driver for border crossings include:
– Knowledge of the border crossing process. Licensed guides and drivers know the most effective ways to cross borders. They are familiar with the best routes and know how long it will take to cross.
– Knowledge of what items are allowed and prohibited at the border. Licensed guides and drivers know what items are allowed and prohibited at each border crossing.
– Ability to communicate in different languages. Border crossing officers speak different languages. Being able to communicate with them in their language makes the border crossing process much easier.
– Ability to avoid fines and penalties. Licensed guides and drivers understand the process at the border and know the fines and penalties associated with breaking the rules.
– Avoiding the risk of having your car confiscated. Border crossing officers have the authority to confiscate vehicles that break the rules.
How to Apply for International Driving License in the UAE: Final Words
Driving in a foreign country can be stressful and confusing. Having an international driving permit can help ease some of the stress by showing border crossing officers that you are familiar with the driving laws of your home country and have valid car insurance. It can also help you avoid fines by proving that you are competent behind the wheel. When crossing borders, it’s important to have all of your documents in order, including car insurance and a valid driver’s license. An international driving permit can help ease the confusion and make your trip much smoother.
Sell Your Motors
Car buying specialists are your best bet when you want to sell your car fast for a fair price. At Sell Your Motors we pride ourselves for being transparent and completing the whole car buying process in only 30 minutes!